Data Scientist & Machine Learning Engineer Intern - 2019
Nubank is the leading fintech in Latin America. Using bleeding-edge technology, design and data, the company aims to fight complexity and empower people to take control of their finances. We are disrupting an outdated and bureaucratic system by building a simple, safe and 100% digital environment that addresses Brazilian customers’ needs with no paperwork, bank branches or inefficient call centers.
Our headquarter is located in São Paulo, Brazil, and we are also present in Berlin, Germany with an engineering office. With a team of over 1,200 of the most innovative professionals in technology, Nubank is dedicated to create an inclusive, international and challenging work environment.
Our Data Science Chapter
Nubank is a financial technology company that is rethinking financial services in Brazil. We are always looking for outstanding Data Scientists (as well as Modelers, Statisticians, AI Practitioners and Machine Learning Engineers) to help us to build proprietary algorithms that predict responsiveness to a vary of customer behaviours to help us solve major company challenges and continuously improve customer experience.
We believe in:
- Good team chemistry;
- Enthusiasm for building and delivering new features and products;
- Capacity to keep learning new things while constantly improving what we are already good at;
- Collaborating efficiently to ship a great product experience to our customers.
What are the challenges Data Scientists face at Nubank?
- Create thousands of new predictive variables using your intuition, sociological insight and automation techniques;
- Discover and evaluate the usefulness of new data sources;
- Automate the creation of hundreds of different machine learning models;
- Find the most best audience for our products;
- Underwrite and assign client profile to applicants;
- Thwart identity theft and credit card transaction fraud;
At Nubank we don't shy away from using the latest and greatest machine learning algorithms and techniques; in fact, we encourage them. We have a rich dataset with natural language text, images, graphs, and much more, as well as more traditional sources of financial data. We also have an almost endless set of models to build, including everything from credit scoring to text tagging.
Meet The Nubankers - Luam Totti: http://sou.nu/scientistnu
Application period is between January 4th, 2019 to April 7th, 2019;
You have to be registered in an undergraduate course and your University needs to be able to sign a contract with us for at least 6 months, counting from July/2019. Master and PhD students need to check beforehand if they have internship eligibility. Please, check directly with your University before submit the application.
- Be thoughtful and attentive with everything that you are developing, showing great attention to detail;
- Has a burning desire to apply data-driven solutions to tackle real-world problems;
- Curious and always trying to find new, better solutions in everything you start;
- Fast learner and easygoing, looking forward to work in a fast pace environment;
- Intermediary knowledge of English
We believe there is room for very diverse skill sets to make valuable contributions. We are avid to meet people of different areas – there is no single ideal profile. We are excited to meet students from diverse backgrounds.
We believe you will fit for this position if you combine some of the these points. More than technical skills, we are looking for students that show potential and cultural fit:
- Student from a highly quantitative field (e.g. statistics, computer science, mathematics, physics, genetics, econometrics, biostatistics);
- Some knowledge on programming;
- Some scientific thinking and statistics knowledge;
- Cool projects involving data science are a plus;
- Machine learning competitions participant are a plus;
- Look for alternative knowledge sources, like MOOCs and blogs;
- Some knowledge on languages that support statistical learning (e.g. Python, R, Scala)
- Competitive compensation package
- Health, dental and life insurance
- Meal allowance (“vale refeição”)
- Exclusive personalized program that offers psychological, social, legal and financial support to all Nubankers
- Extended maternity and paternity leaves
- Child care assistance and private lactation rooms
- Special Nubank Rewards signature program
- Inclusive workplace, pet-friendly and without dress code
- Partnerships with several stores and restaurants in São Paulo
- Flexibility to choose your own custom setup (computer, monitors, OS etc.)
Diversity at Nubank
We want to have a product for every Brazilian, and we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that more than 30% of Nubank is part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of culture. At Nubank, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.