Data Engineer - Berlin
What is Nubank?
Nubank Berlin is a satellite engineering office dedicated to serving the horizontal engineering needs of Nubank in Brazil - the leading fintech in Latin America. In Brazil, since 2014 we have been actively servicing millions of clients with our mobile-controlled credit card product. With head office São Paulo and an engineering office in Berlin, Nubank has raised USD 330 million in investment rounds led by Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, Tiger Global, Kaszek Ventures, Goldman Sachs, QED Investors and DST Global.
Our cosy office in Berlin Mitte is centered around backend and data-infrastructure focused work. Shipping valuable features requires dealing with distributed applications, infrastructure, user facing API and production microservices. Our engineers commonly rotate focus between these responsibilities. We consistently work with and explore new technologies, and thus value professionals who are open to learning new things, regardless of preexisting comfort zones.
Nubank software engineers in Berlin might solve the following problems:
- Create data pipelines integrating a wide range of sources to drive business functions and products
- Constantly refining the data platform to enable a broader set of data applications such as streaming systems and online ML models to exist
- Improve user-experience and platform predictability through work on monitoring, UX and system reliability
- Work with backend microservices in functional programming languages, such as Clojure
- Create intuitive visualizations for monitoring live streaming data sets
- Triage bugs and exceptions reported in production
- Conduct system load / stress tests
We are looking for software engineers that are intellectually curious, enthusiastic, versatile, eager to learn, with a track record of creating efficient, scalable and accessible solutions, preferably in the domain of data infrastructure and tooling. You will have a meaningful chance to shape architecture, process, and culture while working with leading edge technologies. We believe in cultivating good inter and intra team chemistry, enthusiasm for building things, and exercising the amazing capacity to learn new things when we stay humble and open-minded. English language skills are essential.
Some of the technology, tools and practices you will be exposed to:
- Horizontally scalable micro-services written mostly in Clojure, using Finagle and leveraging functional programming techniques and hexagonal architecture.
- High throughput jobs and inter-service communication using Kafka;
- Continuous Integration and Deployment into AWS;
- Storing data in Datomic and DynamoDB;
- Monitoring and observability with Prometheus;
- Running as much as possible in Kubernetes.
Experience with any of the following is desirable :
- Distributed processing frameworks (e.g. Spark, Kafka Streams, Flink)
- Experience designing data-pipelines
- Streaming and Real-time systems
- Infrastructure as code (e.g. Ansible, Terraform, CloudFormation)
- RESTful API oriented design / modular service oriented architecture
- JVM experience (e.g. Java, Scala, Clojure)
- SQL / NoSQL databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Datomic)
- Unit / functional / integration testing
You will fit well, if:
- You thrive in dynamic, fast-paced, results-oriented teams
- You are hungry and enjoy being constantly challenged to learn and do more
- You embrace conflict of ideas and like to question the status quo
- You learn fast and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities
- You believe in building great products and doing great work
- You want to understand the big picture, to be held accountable and make a meaningful contribution with your work
- Competitive compensation package
- 28 days of vacation
- Participation in Nubank’s Stock Option Plan
- Flexible working arrangements
- A modern technology stack
- Flexibility to choose your own custom setup (computer, monitors, OS etc.)
- Relocation support
- Company events
- Wellness and learning benefit
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!