Mobile Software Engineer
Why is software engineering important for Nubank?
Nubank is a technology company, and software engineers form the bulk of our team.
Our software team creates new features for our cardholder customers, as well as advanced analytics and machine learning models to continuously improve decision making and streamline processes.
Want to know more? Meet the Nubanker Thales Machado: http://sou.nu/engmobile
What are some examples of problems a software engineer will solve?Shipping valuable features requires close coordination between devops, database, API, frontend, and mobile workstreams; Nubank engineers commonly pair and rotate focus between these responsibilities. We consistently work with new technologies, and thus value professionals who are open to learning new things, regardless of pre-existing comfort zones. Nubank mobile software engineers might solve any of the following problems:
- Ship new features for the mobile apps using modern languages like Swift and Kotlin
- Take reactive architectures to the next level
- Triage bugs and exceptions reported in production
- Have the opportunity to build backend micro-services in functional programming languages, such as Clojure and Scala
What is it like working at Nubank?
Our teams work using agile frameworks to deliver great solutions for our customers. We emphasize pairing, controlling work-in-progress, and try to adapt our team structures and processes to suit the particular working styles of the engineers within those teams.
Our working environment is open and diverse, and our offices have a broad mix of collaborative working spaces, quiet areas, leisures space, and workstations.
Overall, we want our engineers to be comfortable at work: we don’t have a dress code and you can work wearing shorts and flip-flops. We also have a pet-friendly office: you may bring your furry friend to work.
- Work on a small team, being part of the project and product decisions
- Work with an app with more than 5.5 million downloads and consistently >4.7 rating across both platforms
- Have the opportunity to work with other functions, from design to decision sciences, to shape and iterate on key features
- Happy Hours every Wednesdays
You must have:
- 5+ years of experience coding in relevant projects specially with OO languages
- Knowledge in software architecture
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent TDD and test automation skills (testing - Unit tests, instrumental tests / KIF, Nimble, SwiftCheck, Spoon, Espresso, Mockito)
- Passion for mobile technology and high quality engineering
- Curiosity and a desire to be responsible for all aspects of building Nubank's product in a small, highly focused, and very rapidly growing team
- Multi-threaded application development
- Proficient in Kotlin and/or Swift - That's ok if you are not familiar with these languages, you will learn fast
- Understanding and curiosity in creating well thought out mobile infrastructure, SDKs, open source projects, and APIs.
- Knowledge on Clean Architecture concepts
- Deep knowledge of SOLID principles
- Excellent software engineering aptitude and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance
- Memory management and performance tuning
- Attention to detail - a pixel perfect eye
- Custom UI and animation
- Knowledge of reactive extensions (RxJava, RxSwift)
Engineering or computer science undergraduate degree and English language skills are helpful.
You will have a meaningful chance to shape architecture, process, and culture while working with bleeding edge technologies.
We believe in good team chemistry, enthusiasm for building things, and the (often surprising) capacity to learn new things when we stay humble and open-minded.
You will fit well if you are:
- Results-oriented and enjoy shipping new features
- Writing and shipping production-quality software
- Hungry and enjoy being constantly challenged to learn and do more
- Open to embrace conflict of ideas and like to question the status quo
- Fast learning and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities
- Aiming to build great products and doing great work by international standards
- Focus on understand the big picture, to be held accountable and to make a meaningful contribution with your work
- Competitive compensation package
- Health, dental and life insurance
- Meal allowance (“vale refeição”)
- Flexibility to choose your own custom setup (computer, monitors, OS etc.)
Diversity at Nubank
We want to have a product for every Brazilian, and we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that more than 30% of Nubank is part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of culture. At Nubank, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.
Please, find more about us at: