Mobile Software Engineer
Why is software engineering important for Nubank?
Nubank is a technology company, and software engineers form the bulk of our team.
Our software team creates new features for our cardholder customers, as well as advanced analytics and machine learning models to continuously improve decision making and streamline processes.
Want to know more? Learn about the routine of a mobile engineer at Nubank: http://sou.nu/engmobile
What are some examples of problems a software engineer will solve?
Shipping valuable features requires close coordination between devops, database, API, frontend, and mobile workstreams; Nubank engineers commonly pair and rotate focus between these responsibilities. We consistently work with new technologies, and thus value professionals who are open to learning new things, regardless of pre-existing comfort zones. Nubank mobile software engineers might solve any of the following problems:
- Ship new features for the mobile apps using modern languages like Swift and Kotlin and participate in the transition to a cross-platform solution using Flutter.
- Implement complex systems and evolve the application architecture based on reactive paradigms and with functional programming concepts.
- Triage bugs and exceptions reported in production.
- Have the opportunity to build backend micro-services in functional programming languages, such as Clojure and Scala.
What is it like working at Nubank?
Our teams work using agile frameworks to deliver great solutions for our customers. We emphasize pairing, controlling work-in-progress, and try to adapt our team structures and processes to suit the particular working styles of the engineers within those teams.
Our working environment is open and diverse, and our offices have a broad mix of collaborative working spaces, quiet areas, leisures space, and workstations.
Overall, we want our engineers to be comfortable at work: we don’t have a dress code and you can work wearing shorts and flip-flops. We also have a pet-friendly office: you may bring your furry friend to work.
- Work on small teams, being part of the project and product decisions.
- Teams are self-sufficient and engineers are encouraged to learn new skills such as backend development with Clojure.
- Work with an app with more than 13 million downloads and consistently >4.7 rating across both platforms.
- Have the opportunity to work with other functions, from design to decision sciences, to shape and iterate on key features.
- Happy Hours every Wednesdays.
You must have:
- Solid experience coding in relevant projects especially with OO languages.
- Knowledge of SOLID principles and software architecture.
- Understanding of reactive programming and functional programming concepts.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance.
- Testing skills (Unit tests, integration tests. Knowledge in testing frameworks such as KIF, Nimble, SwiftCheck, Spoon, Espresso, Mockito is a plus).
- Knowledge in multi-threaded application development.
- Memory management and performance tuning skills.
- Curiosity and desire to be responsible for all aspects of building Nubank's product in highly focused, and very rapidly growing team.
- Attention to detail - a pixel perfect eye.
- Custom UI and animation skills.
- Engineering or computer science undergraduate degree and English language skills are helpful.
You will have a meaningful chance to shape architecture, process, and culture while working with bleeding edge technologies.
We believe in good team chemistry, enthusiasm for building things, and the (often surprising) capacity to learn new things when we stay humble and open-minded.
You will fit well if you are:
- Results-oriented and enjoy shipping new features.
- Writing and shipping production-quality software.
- Hungry and enjoy being constantly challenged to learn and do more.
- Open to embrace conflict of ideas and like to question the status quo.
- Fast learning and easily adapt to changing situations and priorities
- Aiming to build great products and doing great work by international standards.
- Focused on understanding the big picture, to be held accountable and to make a meaningful contribution with your work.
- Competitive compensation package
- Health, dental and life insurance
- Meal allowance (“vale refeição”)
- Flexibility to choose your own custom setup (computer, monitors, OS etc.)
Diversity at Nubank
We want to have a product for every Brazilian, and we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that more than 30% of Nubank is part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of culture. At Nubank, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.
Please, find more about us at: